Data management planning is recognized as one of the key pillars of research data management. The Data Management Planning Expert Group (DMPEG) works to promote and nurture a strong data culture in Canada. The DMPEG develops and makes available guidelines, best practices, and content in support of templates and guidance materials (e.g., exemplars) for the Portage national DMP service, DMP Assistant. This expert group also contributes to the development of standards underlying the structure and management of DMP Assistant templates and the exchange of DMP information to facilitate its sharing and reuse. The DMPEG’s work ultimately
- facilitates the sharing of research administrative information across research organizations and agencies;
- improves coordination among local and national research service organizations; and
- reduces administrative burden on researchers.
Current areas of interest include
- Developing discipline- and methodology-specific DMP templates (categories, questions, and guidance) to be implemented through DMP Assistant;
- Developing Exemplar DMPs and other guidance and training resources to assist researchers in developing high quality DMPs;
- Developing and implementing a DMP repository where researchers can deposit, curate, discover, and access Canadian DMPs; and
- Supporting the ongoing development and sustainability of the DMP Assistant platform and service, including identifying and recommending new features to support both administrators and end users.
For more information about this group, or to become a member, contact email@example.com.
Exemplar DMPs Review and Development Working Group
The purpose of this group is to work with members of the Portage community to develop exemplar data management plans from a variety of disciplines, in English and French, and to ensure the exemplars represent best practices in data management planning.